Drunk Driving Accident Lawyers in Ohio
Speak to a Lawyer today
Fill out the contact form below and a lawyer will contact you to discuss your case.
In our combined 30+ years of practice as personal injury lawyers, some of the most devastating and tragic accident are those involving drunk drivers. Getting to a successful resolution for your drunk driving car accident claim takes experience and dedication – and the family of car accident lawyers at Sawan & Sawan have both.
Driving while intoxicated is tremendously dangerous and affects peoples lives negatively every single day in the United States. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, about 28 people in America die every single day in drunk driving car crashes. Remarkably, over a ten-year period from 2010 TO 2019, more than 10,000 people died in a drunk driving car accidents. Our family of personal injury lawyers is here to help if you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident involving a drunk driver.
National Drunk Driving Car Accident Statistics
The numbers related to drunk driving car accidents are staggering. According to data compiled by the NHTSA, the following is reported with respect to drinking and driving in the United States:
- Approximately 1/3rd of all traffic fatalities in the U.S. involve a drunk driver
- Every year, alcohol-related car crashed cost more than $44 billion dollars.
- It’s estimated that alcohol impaired drivers got behind the wheel 147 million times in 2018.
- In 2017, nearly 1/3rd of all drivers involved in fatal crashes involved at night were drunk.
- Almost twice as many alcohol related and fatal car crashes occur on the weekends.
- in 2017, there were 4 times as many alcohol impaired male drivers as alcohol impaired female drivers on the road.
- 12.6 million Americans reported driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol in 2018.
By The Numbers: Ohio's Sobering Facts
Ohio Revised Code §4511.19 makes it a crime to operate a vehicle while intoxicated. Specifically, Ohio law prohibits an individual from getting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle if that person “has a concentration of eight-hundredths of one per cent or more but less than seventeen-hundredths of one per cent by weight per unit volume of alcohol in the person’s whole blood.” However, despite this clear law and the financial and human costs of drunk driving accidents, Ohio drivers still decide to place others in harms way by getting behind the wheel. Every year, the Center for Disease Control compiles state wide data on drunk driving. Looking at the period between 2009 and 2018, the CDC reported the following sobering facts about drunk driving in Ohio:
Medical Bills Piling Up?
Paying Medical Bills After a Car Accident
Reducing Drunk Driving Accidents in Ohio
Every year, our family of car accident lawyers sees the devastation that drunk driving has on families throughout Ohio. As a result, we know firsthand how important it is to put in place proper protections for drivers on Ohio’s road. While the prevalence of drunk driving has been on a downtrend since the 1980’s, millions still get behind the wheel while intoxicated every single day in the United States. Here are some best practices that State’s employ to limit the risk to innocent drivers.
- Alcohol Impaired Driving Laws. Laws that make it illegal to drive in a certain state of intoxication provide a deterrent effect to those thinking about drinking and driving.
- Publicized Sobriety Checkpoints. These planned checkpoints offer high visibility to the community and remind drivers that someone is watching for drunk drivers at all times. These are most effective when widely publicized and regularly conducted.
- Ignition Interlocks. These are devices that can be installed in vehicles to prevent an individual from driving until they blow in a breathalyzer. These are especially useful for repeat offenders.
- Alcohol Assessment and Treatment. It’s important that any criminal process also account for the root causes oft he problem. Alcohol assessments and treatment can be a helpful tool in intervention.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Drunk Driving Accident?
The reality is that not all car accident cases require the assistance of a lawyer. This is especially true in an instance where there are no injuries or minimal impact. However, unfortunately, drunk driving accidents are often incredibly serious – and can even result in the untimely death of a loved one. As a result of this severity, drunk driving accidents present a whole host of unique issues that make it highly advisable to seek out legal representation. At Sawan & Sawan, we know that drunk driving accidents can be some of the most stressful times in your life. We offer free, no-risk consultations via phone, video or in-person to quickly answer your questions and alleviate as much stress as possible.
Dennis E. Sawan
Licensed in Ohio and Florida
Dennis P. Sawan
Licensed in Ohio and Georgia
Christopher A. Sawan
Licensed in Ohio and Michigan
Contact an Attorney today to discuss your case.
Request A Call
discover our latest Articles
Car Accident Lawyers
Ohio Car Accident Lawyers
Toledo Ohio Car Accident Lawyers
Columbus Ohio Car Accident Lawyers
Cleveland Ohio Car Accident Lawyers
Georgia Car Accident Lawyers
Savannah Georgia Car Accident Lawyers
Florida Car Accident Lawyers
Jacksonville Florida Car Accident Lawyers
Michigan Car Accident Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers
Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Toledo Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Columbus Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Cleveland Ohio Personal Injury Lawyers
Georgia Personal Injury Lawyers
Savannah Georgia Personal Injury Lawyers
Florida Personal Injury Lawyers
Jacksonville Florida Personal Injury Lawyers
Michigan Personal Injury Lawyers